We all know that it is important to get health insurance. Life is so uncertain that having insurance will at least give us some peace of mind and protection when something unfortunate happens with our health. One of the things to look into is physiotherapy cover. At some point in your life, you may need physio treatments to manage certain conditions that affect your mobility. With physio cover, hospital costs can be one less thing to worry about.
What are Physio treatments?
This includes functional exercise, massage, taping, heat, dry needling, manipulation, electrotherapy, postural correction as well as mobilisation.
Here are some things that you need to know about physiotherapy cover in health care plans:
- Why do you need to have physiotherapy cover? It can save you money. Initial consultation from a physiotherapist costs a lot of money. When you have physiotherapy cover, you may not need to pay for a diagnosis and treatment plan.
- Physio treatments may include functional exercise, massage, taping, heat, dry needling, manipulation, electrotherapy, postural correction as well as mobilisation.
- Complex physiotherapy is usually needed by those who have severe and extensive burns, chronic pain or acquired brain injuries. Make sure to check if your policy covers these treatments as well as the annual limits.
- What are the medical conditions that usually require ongoing physiotherapy treatments? These include musculoskeletal problems such as back pain, arthritis, muscle strains, sprains, bursitis, and other sports-related injuries, cardiothoracic conditions such as asthma, chronic bronchitis, and emphysema, as well as neurological conditions including stroke, injuries to the head and spine, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.
- When do you need to visit a physiotherapist? Your physician or healthcare professional will refer you to a physio if you’ve developed a movement disorder. Bear in mind that you can still see a physiotherapist even without a referral. There are instances wherein a quick consultation can do wonders to your overall health.
- Medicare will cover physical therapy costs incurred if you were confined in a public hospital. But when you have a private health insurance with extras cover, you can get benefits on some or all of the costs incurred for out-of-hospital physiotherapy treatment. Of course, it depends on the level of coverage you have.
Bear in mind that while we want to have cheap insurance, there are other deciding factors when it comes to choosing the right policy. Check the coverage and extras. Read the fine print and understand the terms to avoid inconvenience later on especially when you need to make a claim.
Got other ideas on physiotherapy cover and health care plans in Australia? Share your insights in the comments section.