Raising kids is an exciting experience. A lot of people find joy in having children and watching them grow up to be great individuals. But it is also a huge responsibility. There are so many aspects that come into play when you have kids.
One of the most important ones is to ensure that they’ll have protection in case something unfortunate happens to them.
While there’s no way to know when your kids will get ill or have an injury, you can prepare for it by getting health insurance. Different insurers offer a wide range of health care plans, each caters to a specific individual’s lifestyle or status.
And as much as you want to save money, refrain from getting cheap health insurance as soon as you see it. Check your options first and weigh the pros and cons.
As for health care plans for families, here are some things that you need to know:
- In general, most insurers allow your kids to be part of your policy until they reach 25 years of age, if they’re full-time students, they still live with you and are single.
- Hospital cover includes in-hospital treatment, accommodation, and other costs when you are being treated as a private patient at a private or public hospital.
- The extras cover can include dental and orthodontic treatment, optical services, physiotherapy, podiatry, as well as chiropractic treatment. It may be called extras cover but it should also be a priority since the costs of these services can add up through time. Extras cover has three categories:
- Basic cover – minimum services; keep in mind that these can be different depending on the insurer
- Medium cover – dental (general, major), endodontic, and any five of these: orthodontic, optical, non-PBS pharmaceuticals, physiotherapy, podiatry, psychology, as well as hearing aids
- Comprehensive cover – as the name implies, this covers more services as well as higher benefits when you make claims. The services include dental (general, major), endodontic, orthodontic, optical, non-PBS pharmaceuticals, physiotherapy, podiatry, psychology, naturopathy, and acupuncture
- Take note that Medicare does not include costs of ambulance services or emergency transport. You can get your own ambulance cover as part of your extras cover or hospital cover. You can also purchase it as a separate cover.
Do you have other ideas on health care plans and cheap health insurance? Share your insights in the comments section.Read More →