ME Bank has today announced its lowest ever rate, cutting its two year fixed home loan rate to 2.88% p.a (3.96% p.a. comparison rate*).
The new rate is available to owner-occupier home loan customers with a Flexible Home Loan Member Package, paying principal and interest with a loan to value ratio (LVR) of less than or equal to 90%.
The bank has made a host of changes across fixed rate products, with cuts of up to 60 basis points.
A $395 annual Member Package fee applies to all loans and all changes are effective as of 14 October 2019 – today.
The bank also recently announced that it would be cutting variable rates by 15 basis points, effective from 24 October 2019.
In June and July, ME cut variable rates by 25 and 20 basis points respectively.
The table below shows a collection of some of the lowest fixed interest rates on the market.
|Provider||Ad rate p.a.||Comp rate* p.a.||Monthly repayments|
|Great Rate Discount Fixed 1yr||2.79%||3.82%||$1,641||More details|
|Fixed OO P&I 3yrs||2.84%||3.37%||$1,652||More details|
|Fixed Rate 2yrs OO P&I||2.88%||4.34%||$1,660||More details|
|Basic Fixed 80% 3yrs||2.94%||3.36%||$1,673||More details|
|Tailored Fixed P&I 3yrs||3.08%||4.46%||$1,704||More details|
|Ad rate p.a.||Comp rate* p.a.||Repayments|
|Great Rate Discount Fixed 1yr|
|Fixed OO P&I 3yrs|
|Fixed Rate 2yrs OO P&I|
|Basic Fixed 80% 3yrs|
|Tailored Fixed P&I 3yrs|
Base criteria of: a $400,000 loan amount, fixed, principal and interest (P&I) home loans with an LVR (loan-to-value) ratio of at least 80%. Introductory rate products were not considered for selection. Monthly repayments were calculated based on the selected products’ advertised rates, applied to a $400,000 loan with a 30-year loan term. Rates correct as at 18 November 2019. View disclaimer.
Check out the full list of changes below.
ME Bank fixed rate changes
For customers with a Flexible Home Loan with a Member Package, owner-occupied (OO), principal & interest (P&I), ≤90% LVR:
- Two year rate cut by 39 basis points from 3.27% p.a. to 2.88% p.a. (3.96% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Four year rate cut by 40 basis points from 3.58% p.a. to 3.18% p.a.
(3.94% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Five year rate cut by 50 basis points from 3.58% p.a. to 2.99% p.a.
(3.83% p.a. comparison rate*)
For customers with a Flexible Home Loan with a Member Package, investment, P&I, ≤90% LVR:
- Two year rate cut by 40 basis points from 3.58% p.a. to 3.18% p.a.
(4.16% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Three year rate cut by 20 basis points from 3.48% p.a. to 3.28% p.a.
(4.01% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Four year rate cut by 60 basis points from 3.88% p.a. to 3.28% p.a.
(4.09% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Five year rate cut by 60 basis points from 3.88% p.a. to 3.28% p.a.
(4.05% p.a. comparison rate*)
For customers with a Flexible Home Loan with a Member Package, interest-only, P&I, ≤80% LVR:
- Two year rate cut by 41 basis points from 3.79% p.a. to 3.38% p.a.
(4.06% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Four year rate cut by 30 basis points from 3.99% p.a. to 3.69% p.a.
(4.11% p.a. comparison rate*)
- Five year rate cut by 30 basis points from 3.99% p.a. to 3.69% p.a.
(4.11% p.a. comparison rate*)
ME savings account rate change
ME also decreased the maximum interest rate on its Online Savings Account product by 15 basis points last week, taking it to a new total rate of 2.20% p.a.
The base rate on this account was reduced by 30 basis points from 0.80% p.a. to 0.50% p.a, while the bonus rate was increased from 1.55% p.a. to 1.70% p.a.
To earn the bonus rate on top of the base rate, ME customers must:
- Have both ME’s Online Savings Account and Everyday Transaction Account linked
Make at least four tap & g purchases per month
- Have no more than $250,000 deposited
Stay up to date with the latest rate changesSIGN UP
The entire market was not considered in selecting the above products. Rather, a cut-down portion of the market has been considered which includes retail products from at least the big four banks, the top 10 customer-owned institutions and Australia’s larger non-banks:
- The big four banks are: ANZ, CBA, NAB and Westpac
- The top 10 customer-owned Institutions are the ten largest mutual banks, credit unions and building societies in Australia, ranked by assets under management in 2018. They are (in descending order): Credit Union Australia, Newcastle Permanent, Heritage Bank, Peoples’ Choice Credit Union, Teachers Mutual Bank, Greater Bank, IMB Bank, Beyond Bank, Bank Australia and P&N Bank.
- The larger non-bank lenders are those who (in 2019) has more than $9 billion in Australian funded loans and advances. These groups are: Resimac, Pepper, Liberty and Firstmac.
Some providers’ products may not be available in all states.
In the interests of full disclosure, Savings.com.au and loans.com.au are part of the Firstmac Group. To read about how Savings.com.au manages potential conflicts of interest, along with how we get paid, please click through onto the web site links.
*Comparison rate includes both the interest rate and the fees and charges relating to a loan, combined into a single percentage figure. The interest rate per annum is based on a loan credit of $150,000 and a loan term of 25 years.