Athena home loan rates
Athena has home loan products with no ongoing, application or exit fees for owner-occupiers and investors looking to switch home loans.
Buying a home or looking to refinance? The table below features home loans with some of the lowest interest rates on the market for owner occupiers.
About Athena bank
Athena is a digital direct lender backed by Macquarie Bank, Square Peg, Hostplus, Rice Warner, Apex Capital, RESIMAC Group and AirTree Ventures. Launched in February 2019, Athena only offers home loans for people looking to refinance. The non-bank has branded itself “the home loan wrecker”, offering home loan products that could help customers save money and shorten the life of their loan.
What home loans does Athena offer?
Athena has principal & interest home loans and interest-only home loans for both owner-occupiers and investors. At the time of writing (August 2019), they only accept home loan applications for refinancers, so first home buyers might be out luck.
Athena home loan features
Athena offers a variety of home loan features on its home loans. These features include:
- Flexible repayments: You can pay above your minimum repayment for free to potentially save money on your home loan.
- Fee-free redraw facility: There are no fees when you want to redraw your extra money with Athena’s redraw facility.
- Automatic rate match: Athena offers existing customers the same rate for new customers, avoiding ‘loyalty taxes’.
- Loyalty bonus: Athena loyal customers can get a 0.01% discount for each of the first five years of repayments made on time, which can amount up to 0.05%.
- Direct salary transfer: You can pay your salary directly into your home loan account, reducing the balance.
How to apply for an Athena mortgage
Athena has certain requirements you must meet to qualify for an Athena mortgage:
- You must be refinancing
- You must have at least 20% equity and be borrowing between $100,000 – $2,000,000
- You must be employed
- Your property must be in a capital city or in a major population centre
- You are an Australian or New Zealand permanent resident
- You must have a decent credit history
If eligible, you can go to Athena’s website to get started with your home loan application. You can also speak with an Athena loan expert on 13 35 35.
Make sure to have your documents prepared when applying for an Athena home loan. They will likely need the following:
- One ID – Driver’s license, Australian Passport, Medicare card
- Income and employment details – your two most recent payslips
- Other sources of income such as investments, term deposits, superannuation, or rental income
- Assets and liabilities
- A breakdown of your living expenses
- The most recent statement of your current home loan you’ll refinance